View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,701
Laugh Day 2 Coalinga CA to Springs Valley CA

All right it had gotten pretty windy and chilly the night before on our ride down so we slept well, but woke up pretty early for us. So up and at em pack the bikes and check out of the hotel.

We ate breakfast at the Harris Ranch Steak House. As a fellow grill man it was nice to smell fresh tri-tip on the grill first thing in the morning.

Ginger Bread House

All fueled up we hit the road.

We rode all day stopping only for gas and Starbucks. There was a light dusting of snow on the top of the Grape Vine but the road was clear. We rode all the way down to Springs Valley CA Hwy 94 just a few short miles from the Tecate boarder crossing. That is where we pulled up for the day. Pretty uneventful but hey we didnt have to work and we got to ride Moto's all day who's complaining? So tomorrow is Marcia's birthday Christmas eve and we ride into Mexico.

Wife - Day 2 - December 23rd
I woke up at 5 am for some awful reason. Maybe I was excited and wanted to get on the road. Luckly I was able to go back asleep and slept until Mr. Johnson woke me up at 7:00 am. We packed the bikes and headed over to Harris Ranch for some hearty American Breakfast.
I had biscuts and gravy with bacon. Mr. Johnson had Chicken Fried Steak, scrambled eggs (which I ate cause he doesn't eat eggs), home fried potatoes, and sour dough toast. The food was good, the service was average, but who in the world hires these hostesses?? We are two younger adults with no children, why in the world do these hostesses sit us by families with loud children?? The hostess did the same to a poor lone man. I was just annoyed. I know it is during the holiday season and a lot of families are traveling so they can spend the holiday with their families. I have no problem with that, but why stick two adults who don't have children in the middle of tables who have children??

I could go on and on about this, but I will move on . . .
After breakfast we headed back to I-5 south in the direction of LA. Not too much excitement.
The DIVA (a.k.a. Ural) did great on the Grapevine. I rode her 60-65 mph pretty much the whole way.
Once we dropped down the pass we hit a ton of traffic.
We stopped for a break and some coffee. Once re-energized we headed south towards San Diego.
We stopped for the day in Spring Valley, CA. It was getting dark. We stayed in a Hotel that was rather rough. I've stayed in some rough or pretty basic hotels in Mexico, but this Hotel made those hotels 3 stars.
There were like permanent residents that live in this hotel. There were about 12 kids running a muck around the place. You could smell the marijuana from the other rooms. The comforters were dark and stunk like B.O. I'm not even sure if they have ever been washed. The one thing that was cleen was the bathrooms, or so they looked clean from the poor lighing in the unit. The thing about this place that me off was they charged us $75.00 to stay in this dump for one night.
After settling in, we walked over to Carls Jr to get something to eat. We went back to the hotel to get some rest before we crossed the boarder.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 01:38 PM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote