View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
PC-Rider OP
venturer

Oddometer: 4,598
There was a Quaker Meeting House in the same town but for some reason I don't remeber it.
It was tagged just after I found the Garden State Tag-O-Rama thread.
GST#169, Crosswicks Quaker Meeting House.

I had written my directions coming from a different direction so I turned the wrong way and had to backtrack to find this.
I am glad I did.
There is some great history here.

The cannon ball mentioned on this sign is still in the building and is visible from the outside.

That black dot in the middle of the morter is the canon ball.

Their sign.

Here is the Quaker Friends Meeting website.

Here is some information from a pamphlet I picked up.

"Friends settled here among the Leni Lenapi natives building their cabins amongst the wigwams along a trail through the forest. Our present winding Main Street was this trail.

The first Meeting for Worship was held in the home of Thomas Lambert in 1677. The present large brick building is the third on the property in the middle of Crosswicks, the first having been of log construction. This building with its cedar interior and hand wrought nails was built in 1773 at a cost of $3750.

During a Revolutionary War skirmish, two cast-iron cannon balls passed through the roof of the building and a third penetrated the north wall. It can be seen between the first and second window sills on the second floor. Hessian soldiers were using the building then and marks from their bayonets and musket muzzles are visible on the floor and benches."

I thought this would make a good picture.

State Tag #169 Crosswicks Quaker Meeting House

==========
Quaker Friends Meeting, Crosswicks Friends Meeting @

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"

PC-Rider screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 05:51 PM
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote