View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Saturday morning dawned and we got loaded up. We didn't have a really strict schedule but I knew we needed to be in Cananea before 1 so I set our leaving time at 10:00.

Did you ever notice how large saddlebags look until you try to pack them? I've learned my lesson about packing light but even so it was a squeeze trying to stuff what I felt I needed into only one bag. My wife didn't quite make it and decided she'd need her backpack as well as her saddlebag.

Armed with all the Spanish that 2 lessons could give me (I can tell you my name and then in return ask you for yours) we rolled out. We gassed up a couple of mile from the border, it was only 150 miles each way and I knew I could make it that distance so we'd just need to fill up before we left the hotel.

Coming up into Naco is the border fence, but it's not quite as imposing as you might think.

Okay, it's still a fence designed to keep people out but at least it sort of looks cheerful.

Getting into Mexico is a breeze; basically you drive through the gate, dodge a few speed bumps, wave & smile at the soldiers and that's about it.

I always thought Naco was a pretty small town, but it has about 5500 residents which puts it pretty far ahead of many places we're about to go.

If you don't look too hard you see a bustling business district with lots of stores.

As you leave out of town though you notice that the only paved street is the one you're on and most of the yards are made of mud; luckily it's dry mud right now but during the rainy season I'd be willing to bet it's a mess.
bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote