View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
It was a little chilly as we exited Naco and worked our way toward Cananea, mid 50's would about do it.

We turned onto Mexico hwy 2 which appears to be some new construction, it's still just a 2-lane road but I'm guessing it's highway. I didn't see any sort of speed limit signs so I used the Montana method and just kept it reasonable and prudent; evidently others idea of reasonable and prudent is different than mine as I immediately got passed.

We made our way to Cananea and realized one of the second flaws in my plan, the street signs are in Spanish. We had some directions but they turned out to be pretty bad; I'm quasi-sure that at one point I was going down a one-way street in the wrong direction but since there were no Policia around to correct me I just took it as a learning experience.

Eventually we made our way to the Banjercito to collect our vehicle permit; I was under the impression that I would be purchasing a 6-month permit but evidently if you have a 7-day tourist visa you can't have your vehicle in Mexico any longer than you're going to be there.

The office was quite small, there were 2 people in front of me so I waited my turn. I made good use of the wait by practicing what I was going to way to the clerk when I got to the front of the line. Finally it was my turn and I spouted, "Yo Americano, permiso de auto?" The answer I recieved was...well I really don't know.

Using the little English the clerk knew, which was still more than my Spanish, we got all the paperwork sorted out. It was soon apparent, however, that the clerk was confused as I'd asked for an auto permit but given her the registration for a motorcycle. We got it figured out but she told me she needed to see the VIN on the motorcycle, this is sort of embarrassing but I've never seen the VIN tag on my Guzzi, there's a tag that's sort of hidden by the gas tank that shows the year and I've always assumed the VIN was on it as well but hidden under the tank. The clerk cut me some slack as she realized that I was going to remove the tank and told me it was okay. Finally, an hour after arriving we were out of the Banjercito and ready to hit the road again.

I was sorely tempted to make a detour into the Bodega next door after the last hour.

I spent a lot of time as we were getting out of town just looking at the vehicles around us, you really do see different things in other countries; for instance, when was the last time you saw a chicken in a milk crate at a stoplight?

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote