View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #96
galusham
MotoMark

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by galusham
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, or how accurate it was, but several months ago, I read an article that explained why 3rd gear was susceptable to damage in the DR650. From what they explained, the design of the transmission placed some sort of stress on 3rd gear when you were in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears. I don't have much knowledge of transmissions so maybe some experts on here can investigate/elaborate. Unfortunately, I can not find the article.
Thanks.
I found it again. It was on the DR650 wiki. See below. Heck, maybe one of you guys posted it on there...
  • 3rd gear issues- Some DR's can have a pronounced whine in 3rd gear which can be caused by the hardening wearing off or a badly cut gear. Not catastrophic but annoying anyway.
3rd gear has also been known to disintegrate in a small number of cases. Unfortunately whine or lack of is no indication either way something is going to happen. So far there have only been 18 or so documented cases (Jan 2010) in the US/Oz/NZ out of the many thousands of DR's running around out there and some racking up very high mileages with no problems at all.
Riding conditions may play a part as the Australian bikes affected seem to be at about 20-30,000km whereas the New Zealand/US bikes were between 40-60,000km.
Suzuki changed the part number for 3rd gear in 2006 and 2008 and so far the years represented in the failure list are from 1999 to 2006.
The 3rd gear cog is under load in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears and is the hardest working of the cogs.
If you are going to have the cases apart for any reason, for peace of mind it would pay to replace this $70US part.
galusham is offline   Reply With Quote