View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Day two in Mexico

The next morning I set out for Ensenada on the West coast. The winds are strong

and the potholes in the road are numerous, so as is my norm, I ride conservatively, although mostly above the posted speed limit of 80 kph.

Where tequila comes from. I think this is a blue agave farm.

I rode through Ensenada, but didn’t have the will to find Hussong’s Restaurante, which had been recommended to me,
and ended up riding out to Bufadora, figuring a place on the coast like that would have a hotel.

It’s a speco ride along the cliffs but you should know that there’s no hotel at the end of the road. Your best bet is the vibrantly yellow Hotel Bufadora, back about 5 miles, where I negotiated a rate of 350 pesos from Dave, the owner. Not a fancy hotel, but comfortable enough for me, and Dave’s a nice guy. If you want a nicer place there are some casitas for rent almost across the road from the hotel for $65 US per night.

If you make it to Bufadora, definitely stop in and see Tico at his little bar at the far end of the road on the left hand side. Very friendly group of locals and ex-pats and if you’re feeling particularly adventurous or masochistic, you can sample his “Snakebite Tequila”. Notice the rattler marinating.

One tourist actually had a shot while I was there and asked me if I had tried it. I laughed and said I like tequila, but I’m not into dead snakes marinating in it. One of the locals confided to me after the tourist and his wife left, that he, at least, never drank the snakebite. I’ll head south tomorrow. Not sure how far I’ll get.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote