View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #60
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
The weather had improved greatly while I was on the cruise and the ride back to Te Anau was simply magnificent (I am running short of suitable words to descrbe this place)

I considered staying in Te Anau but want to head to the Glaciers today and that would add a couple of hour's riding today so decided to head for Queenstown. The first few km were marvelous but the weather started to look a bit ominous ahead. Then the heavens opened. I'll save my thoughts on NZ weather patterns for later but I rode for almost 100 miles in pouring rain. Even so, the section of road alongside Lake Wakatipu was spectacularly good fun and quite beautiful (although the previously mentioned tar patches were an ongoing concern, requiring hard concentration on the road surface and picking lines through corners)

Arriving at Queenstown Lakefront YHA at 7:30pm, I thought I might have trouble finding a bed but they had one for only NZ$28. I put my gloves and boots in the drying room and had a warm meal. Another great day over - except for posting the ride-report!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote