View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
drifter dave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Day 2 - Portland Or to Redding CA - 680kms

Awake at 0530 and on the tarmac by 0630. Beautiful sunrise and Rainbow but otherwise the I-5 is boring as hell. Stop at a classic 70's diner for B-fast and the sky opens up. Heavy rain and gusts but we keep truckin along at 110km/hr.
We're sore but we "Man up" and eat miles all day. Although we've been successful in avoiding the big chain restaurants we succumb to Red Lobster. As usual Jay's food looks better than mine:

Lots of curious looks from passers-by, the most common question being "Keeping Dry?"
Pretty Major gusting in Southern Oregon and esp as we cross into Cali. Comes from both sides and tosses the bike around pretty hard. Plenty of rain now and the semis blast by us all day. Good times all around. Check into the first of many Motel 6's.

Day 3 - Nov 10th - Redding to Bakersfield Cali - 704kms

Pretty uneventful day, just tearing up miles. Jay's bike took a spill in the courtyard but no real damage, just a tweaked Pannier rack. Had trouble getting my cold-blooded bike to fire. Finally kicked over with a HUGE backfire that echoed through the courtyard- BANG! Well at least it's running.

Good weather all day and had the rain gear stowed away by mid-day, 19C in Sacramento. First Palm trees spotted at B-fast:

Landscape starts changing to nice grassy rolling plains and we are enjoying the warmer weather.

Still on the I-5 and it's still pretty mind-numbing. As many Semis as there are cars here. Bikes are running perfect and our Comms keep us from getting too bored:

Great restuarant in Santa Nella:

We end up in Buttonwillow Cali after a long, sore day. Monkey Butt. But I still had to go for a rip in the sand in front of our next Motel 6:

Jay putting the bikes to bed:

Room is $42 and we dine with a bunch of Drifting enthusiasts at the local BBQ joint.

Day 4 - Nov 11 - Buttonwillow to Parker Arizona - about 500kms

Finally off the Interstate for 90% of the day. Hwy #58 to #395 to #62. The way into Mojave was beautiful, lots of winding hills and wind farms:

Downtown Mojave, this Diner is good:

A few small towns, then rock formations take over the landscape. We start hitting thermals that spike the temp by several degrees. Weird. We're in the Mojave now, Tumbleweeds and windy bi-ways. It's straight outta Hollywood, it's dusty trailers and abandoned cars in the middle of the desert. Awesome.

My bike is starting to eat oil at anything over 100km/hr. Pass through Joshua Tree and onto 29 Palms, where I annoy Jay by constantly singing the Robert Plant tune of the same name over the comms.

Locked up Joshua Tree:

"When I hear your voice on the radio..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRcKD8T17g

Highway 62 leads us all the way from 29 Palms to Parker Arizona. It's a surreal ride, with open desert and rock "Islands" all around us. Hard to describe, looks as though this were the ocean at some point. We ride well into the night, it feels faster when it's dark out.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Cali on one side of the bridge, Arizona on the other:

We check into, guess where? - Yes! Motel 6. Another $40 well spent.

drifter dave screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 10:08 PM
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote