View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
drifter dave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Day 6 - Nov 13 - Lordsberg New Mexico to Van Horn Texas

We're slowing down a bit as we plan to service our bikes in Laredo Texas. Even at 700kms a day we would make it too late - Sat night. We're starting to take it easy, which is good cause we're beat.

Highway 10 Interstate all day, mostly 2 lanes each way until El Paso, which has the typical 7 lanes, heavy traffic and lane jockeying. A little chilly, the handgrips and fleece jacket are on. El Paso is a bit of a trip as it is right on the border to Mexico, and the poverty is very apparent by the Shanty looking town, just a hundred yards over the border.

Van Horn is a small strip town in the hills. Half of the town is closed up and the place has an eerie, half-ghost town vibe to it. It's cool.

At the ....Motel 6, we meet Alan Johnson, a very cool guy from North Carolina on a yellow Vstrom. He volunteers in Guatemala several months of the year, building housing and closed wood burning stoves for some of the Indigenous people there. He gives us advice, points out routes on our map and drops by later to give us the number for his Guatemalan "fixer" should we run into trouble. Cool guy.

We have our first real Mexican food at a place called Guey's. Highly recommended.

Day 7 -Nov 14 - Van Horn to Del Rio Texas -500km

Out on some long and lonely 1 and 2 lane bi-way (#90).

Rest Stop:

My view from the cockpit:

At a stop in Alpine, I tighten up my chain and Jay notices something missing from his bike:

The end cap on the left side of his swingarm is gone. It'd be better if it was there, because it helps to secure the axle's position. We aren't there 10 min when a guy named Robert on a sweet Xr650R shows up. "Heard you were having some trouble". He has a look at the missing piece and says: "Oh we can fix that at my buddy's shop, follow me."

So off to Doug's shop where he whips up a new plate on the water jet. Doug fixes everything from planes to boats to bikes. Great guys and many laughs. We witness the Texan tradition of taking the piss outta friends and strangers alike. Our first taste of real southern hospitality.

Robert and his pride and joy:

Quick job for Doug on the Water Jet:

Thanks guys!

Texan Cattle Guard:

About and hour and half later we hit the road:

Still overcast, but clears in time for an awesome sunset. Big 200km stretch just before dark. Del Rio appears to be one big strip mall. Ate way too much dinner. The appetizer was the size of a big entree. The portions get bigger the further south you get into the States. Check into Motel 6 in Del Rio. No we're not sponsored but we should be.

drifter dave screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 11:13 PM
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote