View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
drifter dave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Day 8 Del Rio to Laredo TX - 290kms

Still slowing down to time a bike service, so a quick day. Very light traffic and 1 to 2 lane roads. A bit chilly, then warms up. Pretty boring straight road.

Quick stop at an old Inn:

Stop in Eagle's Pass for fuel and B-fast in a cliche diner served by a waitress with one arm. Please ignore the dates on these: new camera.

We've been skirting the border for some time now and start to notice the large percentage of Mexican population and prevailing culture. Feels like we're already over the border.

Pass our second border control check-stop. They asked for my passport, but I showed my International Driver's Permit and that was sufficient. This would be the first of many times that I would present the IDP when asked for a Passport.

We were warned by Rob in Alpine to watch out for crime in Lardeo. He lived there for 2 years. "Secure your stuff!" he said. So we were wondering what it would be like here. Pulled in way ahead of expected at noon. Enough time for Jay to get a haircut by a nice lady with no English. Jay impresses me with some random Spanish phrases.

We also had time to scout out the dealership who had our new tires. On the way, Jay's chain gives up the ghost:

The culprit: a faulty master link clip and a very loose chain due to no luggage. A quick trip back to our room for tools and we're off:

Off to the post office to ship our heated vests, long underwear, rain jackets and some other random gear that we won't need. I ship my spare front tube as J has another. J sends on his water filtration system as we figure we'll buy water. Altogether we shed some extra weight. We'll pick this stuff up in L.A. at a friend's place.

Watch your stuff in Lardeo apparently:

Where did the bikes go!!!

Oh - there they are:

Good night Honey:

drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote