View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Swaziland is lush and there seemed to be plenty of logging activity going on. This is a lake created by a large dam on the way to the capital Mbabane.

Swazis are a very good looking people- cool dudes and sassy gals abound.

This is Xolile who looked after us at our overnight in the Foresters Arms near Mbabane. The 'X' is actually a click. Nice name, charming young lady. The Forester's is a hoot- great atmosphere and food.

A little local enterprise...

And some not so local... Pulp mill. Jobs and pollution. Horse and carriage.

We left Swaziland at the Sicunuza crossing and took the dirt road to Piet Retief. This was actually in better shape than the tarmac alternative which was full of potholes.

Gassed up in PR. I was pretty sure I was getting great mileage as most of that last few days was taken at around 80kph. How about 352km for 16.85 litres. Is that nearly 59 imp MPG. Someone help me here.

We were on our way now to the Zulu battlefields and Rorke's Drift.

If you say so...

Dundee

Ha! No problemo! Rorke's Drift Lodge. Unusual...

Nice view over the battlefields from the deck at Rorke's Drift Lodge. We were there two days before the anniversary.

The rebuilt mission building at Rorke's Drift.

Memorials to the fallen on both sides. I read a history of the battle and watched the movie again before we came out. The movie is pretty accurate - guess Mel Gibson wasn't involved :-)

After finishing our tour of RD, we headed off towards our next stop in the Drakensburg mountains. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated somewhat.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 10:04 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote