View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Truth be told, we were a bit down after having to turn back (although it was inevitable given the conditions) Fortunately the managers of the Sani Pass hotel cheered us up over dinner. They've just taken over and are busy bringing the place fully up to scratch. They are top people (Boet and Bev) and I hope they succeed.

Anyway, the weather was improving, and we had a Plan B, head up to the Northern Drakensburg (on tarmac!) find somewhere to stay and then get to Clarens for our last night. We'd be able to see the Golden Gate National park on the way which would be a bonus.

It was all going great (our stuff was all dry) until just outside Bergville when we ran into a massive thunderstorm. At 10kph I couldn't see a thing, there was forked lightning massive thunder everywhere, it was positively biblical. This shows what it was like after the worst had passed.

&ampampampampampampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampampampampampampnbsp

We sheltered on the verandah of a local hairdresser while people in cars drove past smirking...

Anyway, eventually we got going again and made for a place called Little Switzerland. This was in a spectacular spot and promised an eight (!) course buffet dinner. Just what the doctor ordered!

Moody Drakensburg scenery from our room...

The next day we headed to Clarens for our final night. Nice run through the Golden Gate NP, although a wee bit of sunshine would have helped the pics.

Clarens is an attractive place arranged around a square. Lots of cafes and shops seling arts and crafts. Funny place though, a lot of the shops were selling overpriced tat like fake Coca Cola signs and dubious art. We didn't see anybody actually buying anything...

We did see a couple of pillocks riding around the square on their GSs STANDING UP! Divs..

Anyway, our last day was a pretty straightforward run up to Pretoria. This next pic is only of interest to my family...

Have to say, once again SA delivered a great holiday experience. Could have done with a little less rain, but there you go. It's such an easy place to be, everyone is really friendly, the roads are so free of traffic (compared to the UK) and driving standards are good. A fly ride from Europe is so easys as there is only an hour or two difference in time, so you can just jump off the plane and on to a bike and go. It's still freezing here in Scotland...

PS. Why South Africa, Swaziland and er..? Well I didn't make the third country, Lesotho. I'll be back. With knobblies.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 09:13 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote