Thread: 5 weeks in baja
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
gsstampeder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Christmas Day in Baja, no waking up to the smell of fresh coffee, or the sounds of Xmas carols, (well, at least not any of the carols I recognize) and certainly no exchanging of gifts, you had nobody to exchange with..... It is definitely a strange feeling to sit and stare out at the ocean while you know your family are waking to a very normal snowy xmas morning. Your thoughts can drift from melancholy and solitude to excitement for what lies ahead.

Once i was on the road it was easier to not think about everything...and everyone I had left behind. I was in Baja now and had this to think about....
[IMG][/IMG]
and this....
[IMG][/IMG]
We stopped on route to detour out to san Rafael. Met our host, Pancho, who had lived in his home on the beach for 25 years. Made us coffee, showed us around, some trees he had planted 10-15 years earlier. Amazing!
He had so little, or so it seemed, yet he lived with such contentment.
Pancho's home...Yes it was windy!
[IMG][/IMG]
Cheers Pancho...and Feliz Navidad
[IMG][/IMG]
We left Pancho's and got back on track to San Francisquito. I had heard conflicting stories from, 'there was nothing left there', to 'it had been bought out and it was being renovated'. Renovations in Baja? But we decided that we would check it out. So off we went.
The road started to get a bit more difficult as well
[IMG][/IMG]
and there were critters...
[IMG][/IMG]
We made it to Francisquito for lunch....the place has some palapas to camp in and a beautiful beach....and some good food. But nobody is in a hurry to do anything here. Mind you it was Christmas....it just didn't feel like it.
We ordered lunch and waited for about an hour for some fish tacos, mmmmfish tacos.
Punta San Francisquito....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
and lunch....mmmmm
[IMG][/IMG]
followed by a quick nap (I swear the Germans slipped that mag under my hand whilst I was sleeping)
[IMG][/IMG]
After my nap.....we decided we would try and get to Guerro Negro that nite. It was still early in the day,and the Germans had no cash left and needed a bank. So we set out for El Arco and the highway...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
We were looking for our turn in the 'road' and somehow missed it. Ahh crap....
[IMG][/IMG]
and the sun was setting fast. We had rode down one path that quickly turned to deep sand and I couldn't handle it worth shit. My tires were set too firm and my bike was too heavy and....oh yeah, I didn't know how to ride deep sand. I 'heard' and the German's 'confirmed' that it is easier to go fast and get your weight back and just let the bike ride the sand. Yeah right....I clipped a cactus tree so hard I had cactus juice splattered everywhere. Sorry no pics, maybe the Germans have one. And it was only my pannier that made contact....but the fuckin thing exploded on contact. Saw it the next day and it looked like someone took a chainsaw to it.
Eventually we ran out of daylight and decided to camp next to a dead fallen cactus tree. One that had died long before the one I had just murdered.
We set camp and got a fire going quickly, it was starting to get a bit cool too
[IMG][/IMG]
And 'cool' it got....in the morning we had frost on our bikes. And a gorgeous dessert sunrise to greet our new day...
[IMG][/IMG]

gsstampeder screwed with this post 02-09-2010 at 05:04 AM
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote