Thread: Mega Tubes
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_t3
I suspect they would break if they were between the ground and a falling 400+ lb bike. I don't know the details of the above mentioned break, how and where it was mounted, etc. I mounted the Mega tube on the drz just recently, in the same location as I had placed the standard tube earlier. The standard tube was tucked in enough to be somewhat guarded by everything else. When photographing the Mega, I realized it does protrude out, maybe too far. I view a lot of my photos as "serving suggestions", these are really just generic canisters designed for manual storage, and the motorcycle application is basically all custom adaptations. These have worked very well on the weestrom, where they are protected by the Givi pannier rack. On bikes w/o that sort of nook, they may be best mounted a top rack. I know I've busted my front turn signals on the wee more times than I can count, and finally fixed the problem by going low profile. The sturdy bombproof tube is the GT moto version, looks great, but you pay a hefty sum upfront. For some it's probably the way to go. I can offer the knowledge of approx 250 sold of various sizes, and no reports yet of breakage in normal use. 2 reports on breakage on arrival, whether my lax packing or "exuberant" delivery personnel, I don't know. One w/ a finicky cap that was difficult enough to remove that the customer notified me. (all replaced asap).
I suspect those aluminum brackets will absorb a lot of stress at impact and the aluminum will bend before the ears break.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote