View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09
I'll admit my own wariness about Mexico.

One of our flight crews (my usual partner and a different medic) went down to Mexico on a medical mission. Picked up a patient in a fairly small town to be brought to the US for specialty care unavailable there. On the way back to the airstrip, the ambulance stops and the driver gets out to hand a bunch of cash to someone by the roadside. A few minutes and kilometers later, he pulls over and tries to extort our medical crew. With a patient lying in the back. Didn't know our crew were military trained and unwilling to cooperate. The patient got to the US okay, but we now have orders to not go in to local hospitals on retrievals unless it is clear that the patient cannot be moved without us. This sort of incident has happened to other crews going down there, as well. Some US based flight medical crews won't even go into Mexico anymore.

For what it is worth, we do NOT have these problems in the rest of Central and South America. Not even the cartel-ridden places like Columbia.

So, for now, my wife and I are not riding down into Mexico on any vacations.
Please tell me that the military trained crew kicked big time that guy. if not, they should done something like Steven Seagal's bones breaking thing, so the next time dont dare mess with honest people.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote