View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #99
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
A long time ago I sold motorcycles at a dealership. When I'd sell a bike to a new rider, and we were done with the deal and waiting for the bike from service (checkover) I'd tell them: " Now that you are riding, people - friends, family, strangers will feel the need to tell you thier 'horror story' about an acquaintence of thiers that came to a Bad End, all because of Motorcycles - and I'm going to be the first:

When I was 16 and lifeguarding I rode home on my Suzuki GT380 for lunch one day, and rounding a corner I've used thousands of times I clipped a gravel patch and went down. Well, I had some jeans on and a jean jacket - they were a bit torn up, and I was sore but I picked the bike up, kick-started it and went home and had lunch. When I was done I went out to the carport and there on the mirror was my (purple metalic flake) helmet - right where I left it with a pattern of small stones imbedded into the surface. I never knew my head had hit the ground.

Wearing your gear probably WON'T save you if you take a head-on into a bus, but it WILL go a long way to saving you from the typical low-energy spills that can happen to ANY rider in daily use. SO WEAR YOUR GEAR.
Thus endith the sermon, go forth and have fun.
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote