View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #34
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Well, this is the second year I've returned to Alamos, so I guess I must like the town. Last year I was befriended by two ex-pats ho happen to own the best two bar/restaurants in town and they've been entertaining me to my full satisfaction again this year. If you get to town you've got to stop into El Tesoro for one of Jose Luis's most excellent margaritas, and if you can afford it, you should treat yourself to dinner at Charisma. Joseph, the chef will astound you with a culinary treat here in a little backwater of the Sonoran Desert. We spent 5 days at La Puerta Roja, a wonderful bed and breakfast, where Teri, the owner will blow you away with gourmet breakfasts of multiple courses. This visit is a mix for me. I'm working on shooting video for a pilot of a program I hope to pitch to a cable TV channel while savoring the town and all that I loved about it the first time around. My friends at El Tesoro/Charisma have comped the rooms for me and my compadres, Gemma, and Mundo so we're staying gratis now that our lease has expired at La Puerta Roja.

The town is the first capital of Sonora and Chihuahua. It was a mining center during the 18th century when gold was discovered here, and it became a major center of commerce. The Homes are architecturally significant. It is generally beautiful here. The bars however close early if there's no one drinking this particular night, so if you decide to leave the one you're in for another, you might want to consider the move before implementing it.

This a really beautiful, albeit quiet town.

Rained all day today. Of course we decided we needed to go for a ride on our bikes. We were riding through 200 yard long "puddles" that were as deep as 12 inches. Who needs to plan for drainage when you live in a desert?

First course at the Puerta Roja Inn...

Second course at la Puerta Roja Inn...

miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote