View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #104
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Jim,

Popey (R1150GS) and I (VStrom 650) made it thru Echo Pass a couple of years ago.

We lucked out in that there were two others at the big step when we got there. I think it was AZCacti (KTM 950) and MiseryGoat (smaller KTM). I believe the smaller KTM made it on its own power. The 3 big bikes all got assistance to get up the step. Would have be much harder but probably possible if we hadn't run into them. The step section is shorter and probably easier than trying to go up the rocks at Mengel Pass.

That said Popey and I both consider Echo Pass to be harder than Steele Pass and probably the hardest 1/2 day of riding we had ever done. There were no easy sections. Miles of soft gravel on the way in. And the other side was a 10 mile (?) teeth rattling ride down a rocky alluvial fan. We were totally wiped at the end.

Pic of the step section:

Its one ride that I don't think I'll be repeating on my VStrom.
Hi Joe:

Thanks for the feedback as that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The R1200GS rider that will be coming along won't want to ride Echo as he will be looking for a more mellow route. Echo will probably be exhausting even on the DRZ400S but I'm anxious to see it for myself.

If the weather stays good, we plan to ride from Ridgecrest to the Escape Route to Mengel Pass to Furnace Creek. Gas up and then head east of Echo Pass road to Beaty for the night.

Then ride to Rhyolite, Titus Canyon, if open, and then head to Ballaratt and back over the Escape Route to Trona and back to Ridgecrest if all goes according to plan.

The last time I saw you was at Tom's house in Pacific Grove a few years ago with the ride Tom set up.

I believe you have also taken your Strom north on the Steele Pass trail from Warm Springs in Saline Valley. You have tested the limits of your bike and it has been fun to read your reports.

Thanks again for the info on Echo.