View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Pete
I had a new rim put on in Ecuador a couple of years back (the roads there lull you in to a false sence of security then wham! ...you hit a seal change and your front tube's poking out). Turns out it was a 1.60 (Excel) which was fine for messing around over there but once back in the UK my bike had somehow turned in to a wobbly horrible, nay dangerous, beast on the road (but fine off road).

I finally sourced a new rim (entire wheel, in fact, so I still have the 1.60 for off road) and it is back to it's stable best.

Touratech are now listing a 21 X 2.15 Excel rim so they must have just started making them.

I have no experience of a 1.85 so I can't comment on what they're like; but I do wonder how the Excel 2.15 will work out.

Anyone got one yet?
the 2.15x 21 behr is standard on the adventure and it bends very easy. My experience with the excel takasago on dirt bikes is the same, they bend very very easy. I doubt that the standard excel is any better than the behr and the 2.15 will bend even easier than the 1.60
best bet is excel A60 (not the standard takasago)
or DID dirtstar (not the standard DID)

If you want the dent resitance of a stronger/narrower rim, you can get the 1.85x 21 dirtstar DID from ktm listed for the '07 950 superenduro for about $285 but I decided to go with the Excel A60 1.60x 21 for better dent resistance at about the same cost after buying the custom built spokes to make it fit to the hub

you can get an A60 1.60 x 21 on e-bay for about $180 but you will need a custom built spoke set to make it fit.
the 950 SE front rim should fit using the standard adventure spokes , I havent tried it but the hole patterns seem to line up the same

Dustodust screwed with this post 02-16-2010 at 02:48 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote