View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #167
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
So yeah some guys really got screwed over last year,

Henk Knuiman got the restricted 690, while his teammates got 700's and 750's he found out along the way restriction was 690 only rule.
Of course KTM never minded to tell him, they had a dependable watercarrier in Henk, coming from a family having done many many Dakars' and even more ISDE'S, in the days that Danny LA Porte was running for Cagiva with Meoni, and long before, he's capable of riding in the top 10 easy.
Frans Verhoeven was given 10 minutes penalty for finding out as the first rider they've been send the wrong way by a cop, Coma and Fretigne got 5 minutes compensation for finding out later, thus putting them first an second, costing Frans's stage victory.
So pay attention if ASO makes another rule, they make and adjust their own, don't take anything for granted, and ask twice.

If things get to complicated, opt for the Africa Race, its ran by Dakar legends, Jacky loomans - louis Slescher - Jan de Rooy - Renee metge they comply with FIM rules and keep things simple for the bikes, <450>, so under and over 450, or consider Budapest-Bamako, which has been the longest intercontinental Rally, so a rally covering at least two continents, so how things started and beemer still use in their marketing, now for 4 years, they have no rules at all, nice, entryfee as low as 300 euros, starting at the Budapest F1 circuit, with lots of int Celeb's joining the party every year.
They even have a youtube comp for guys that wanna enter for free.
So with all due respect to the compettitors that enter Dakar every year, there are alternatives.
I'm in for Budapest - Bamako, enyone else? PM