View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #174
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,333
My post on the "Dakar 2010" thread... of same topic...

What does the Chile earthquake disaster mean for ASO's 2011 dakar plans??
Speculation...

Just wondering out loud; what ramifications the recent Tsunami/earthquake disaster in Chile of the last few days will have on eventual negotiations with the Chiléan government for the Dakars return (for the third year) to south America. Probably a bit crass on my part... I am sure that the Chilean authorities have far mor pressing matters on their minds right now, than a rally next january to consider... But I just saw a report from Santaigo on the news a few minutes ago, and by all accounts the devestation is catastophic, and covers the vast majority of Chile's pacific coast (the 2010 edition of Dakar spent what...? four - or five - nights in this region?).

I am sure that thsi is going to factor heavily in ASO's negotiations/decision for 2011 now...? Presumeably Argentina is still keen? What about Brazil...? Maybe the Brazillian admisistration is willing to take up the slack, if Chile (understandably) cannot be involved due to the rebuilding/re-establishment project after the disaster? By all accounts the Des Sertoes is a good calibre rally event and use the terrain, infrastructure and local know how from that event, dovetailed to the existing Argentinian "dakar" formula to produce a Dakar classic on south American soil for 2011?

For now though, it's probably more appropriate to send a thought to the millions of injured, homeless and those struggling to rescue/assist them in Chile right know... a real tradgedy...

...best luck in coping with the aftermath Chilé, my thoughts go out to all our friends there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote