View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #196
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
no body has been bringing up the 450x ... it is a highly popular bike in us desert racing now.. In fact thats probably the next bike for me. JCR racing uses them instead of the R even on small races.. must say something..
I agree (that would be my 'other' choice) - however, US desert races don't tend to last two weeks, over 9000 kms? For shorter Rallies I'm sure the Honda is a contender, but for the Dakar, I fear unless you really keep on top of it, it might get worn out pretty quickly (the ikkle biddy oil capacity and titanium valves...) over such a long and continuous event?

That said, two guys finished Heroes-Legend last year on rally-prepped 450X's (which was a similar distance - 8000kms) - on the same engine and with just regular maintenance as far as I know...

It would be interesting to see some statistics of how many CRF450s started the Dakar this year, and how many finished? As Aussie66 says, as long as you don't tune them to highly, I expect the 450X would be a good (and affordable) choice too?

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote