View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #88
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
Great looking skid plate. Is it easy to change the oil filter with this skid plate on? Do you have to remove the whole plate to change the oil? How much does it weigh? Thanks. oclv
Thanks for the comments!

It's really close to get the oil filter out without dropping the plate but the biggest problem with that would be having residual oil go all over the inside of the skid plate. It's easier and cleaner to just remove it. It only takes about 3 minutes to remove the two front bracket bolts and the four stock nuts underneath. It only takes me about 2 minutes 'cause I have done it a 100 times.

Also all the mounting points line up perfectly so it's really easy to put the skid plate on. That's one of the first comments I always hear! Look on page 10 here; http://tinyurl.com/ycvfnes

The skid plate weighs 5 lbs. It's about 1 1/4 lbs. heavier than the BMW/Touratech one. Much more solidly built and it'll be around for the long run too. When you compare the two of them it's almost . Our skid plate is designed to go the extra 10% for the rider that will really put the bike through it's paces. We use 4mm aluminium not 1/8" (3mm), no weld right down the middle on the bottom , stronger welding too -TIG'd inside and out, and no rivets.

I would be really curious to see what other comparable skid plates weigh.

Any more q's just fire away.

Thanks,

Dave