Thread: KLR250 thread
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #78
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Klr 250

I appreciate the tips on starting, tire changing, gas, and camping with a KLR. I'm going to try your starting technique next time I go riding. It rained today, and I couldn't got riding. I'm going on short trips as I'm getting the hang of riding little by little. I'll probably take the motorcycle safety course later this month. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I never used full throttle on mine. Here's my starting procedure when the bike sat at least overnight or even for six weeks. Since both my KLR250 and later KLR650 both had the problem of the clutch plates sticking together every time it sat overnight or longer, I would first free them up by putting the bike in 1st gear, holding the clutch lever in and then sitting on the bike and push it slightly forwards and backwards until the clutch plates would unstick.then:

1.Leave the key turned off.
2.Turn on the gas petcock.
3.Give it full choke.
4.With no throttle and key still turned off, give it 3-4 kicks just to get the fuel flowing.
5.Turn key on.
6.With no throttle, give it a kick. This is when mine would always fire off for me.

Yes, you want to ride with the fuel valve in the "on" position.It will start to sputter when it's time to go to reserve. But I almost never run any bike that far before filling up. I would caution you to try to run the bike on reserve first before you rely on this system, because sometimes a bike might have a problem and reserve may not function. You want to test it and find out beforehand rather than running the main tank out, turning it to reserve and finding out on some dark lonely road that tour reserve doesn't work.

You can also check into replacing your own tires in your garage rather than paying a shop to do it. I replaced both tires on my KLR650 by myself in my garage with three tire irons, some Windex and talcum powder. It's a good skill to acquire, especially if you are going off road, or planning on taking some longer trips on your KLR.Somehow I've never pinched a tube when I've replaced my own tires, or fixed a flat.

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't take camping trips riding your KLR250!! If you plan your route using back roads (they are more fun anyway) that bike can take you a long way.A tank bag,some bungy cords,maybe some soft throw over saddlebags, a tent, sleeping bag, etc, and your good to go.The gas mileage is great too.But make sure you rack up some miles closer to home to see how your butt gets along with the seat, and check the comfort on all day rides.

My dual sport right now is a Yamaha XT225, and I'm planning on some 2-4 day trips later when the weather gets better.My XT gets better gas mileage than my KLR250 did, but the KLR was faster.

Take care, Jon on Puyallup, Wa.
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote