View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
tHEtREV OP
Captain Awesome
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,148
ZZR250 dirt tourer build.

So there is this mad bastard here on ADV that came up with a novel idea for a charity event called the scrapheap adventure ride where we have to buy a bike for under $1000, get it registered, and ride them to Wanaaring, which is in the middle of bloody no where.

So being a charitable person, I decided to enter.

Firstly I was going to enter this stupid RZ350 based thing I had, but it would take to much to get it on the road.

And then I decided on an old 75 model DT250 that I had laying around, but decided I wanted to do a decent job on that one.

But then I got hold of a reparable write off ZZR250 for another project that fell through, but I was running out of time and it seemed like to much work to get it back on the road.

And then finally, I picked up a 91 KDX200 for well under the $1k mark, and I was happy with that, and started work straight away.

But the closer I got to getting the KDX ready for it's road worthy, the more I felt like I wasn't getting into the spirit of the event, so I put the KDX on hold and started work on the ZZR.

So the ZZR looked something like this when it came out...



But the one I picked up looked slightly less pretty...





The pics don't really show it, but the forks are well and truly twisted...



First thing it got was a new (second hand) set of forks and a straight sub frame.


And a few weeks keeping an eye on flea bay and I had picked up some straight body work for it.

And then last Friday it gained the final thing I needed before I could start getting it ready for the trip...



The number plate...

So now it's nice and legal, I had ridden it to work for the past two days (I usually ride a push bike but had to go to another depot the past two days so I figured I'd take the ZZR instead of the 640), and now I don't need it anymore for transport, the fun can begin...

So first of all I dragged it into my rather cluttered work area.





And then it was off with her front end.


I had a spare front end of a KLX250 sitting around with nothing to hold up, so I decided to bring that into play.

The Steering stem is much thicker on the ZZR, and so are the bearing races, but luckily, the ZZR top bearing fitted the KLX stem at the bottom, and the bearing race at the lower end of the ZZR frame.

A quick trip to the bearing shop sorted the top bearing out.



I managed to get the front wheel on before I was called away...




And unfortunately that is as far as I could get tonight.

I'm hoping the cables for the clutch and throttle are long enough, but the look OK with some rerouting.

And hopefully Tomorrow I'll get a start on the back end.

I'm going to see if I can graft the swing-arm from the KLX on there, but if I have to, I'll settle for a longer shock and a knobby on the rear.

But anyway, we will see how I go...

Oh, and did I mention I have to leave on the first of April, so the build will have to be complete by then...

22 days to go...
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote