View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,786
I've been trying to decide the best way to organize this... and I think I'll simply do it by "What I'd visit first if I were visiting" and work from there.

For me, Colorado riding is about the mountains and the epic views. I grew up in Canada and although we have epic mountains in the Canadian Rockies, one of the things that makes Colorado special is that the mountains are remarkably accessible.

The San Juans.

Some of the most spectacular mountains in Colorado are the San Juan Mountains in South Western Colorado (Ouray/Silverton/Lake City/Durango/Telluride).

The San Juans are known as "Switzerland America" and are famous to non-offroaders due to the Million Dollar Highway. US550 is a stunning paved shelf road that runs from Ouray Colorado to Silverton and then on to Durango. It's famous for scaring flat landers because of the steep drop offs with no guard rails into the ravine below.. but that's nothing compared to the views when you get 3000-5000 feet ABOVE the million dollar highway and look down

If you are on an Adventure motorcycle there is so much more to see

Here's a map I made of some of my favorite passes in the San Juans

My map below is upside down - NORTH is at the bottom. I don't know why I've done it this way.. probably because I always approach the San Juans from Ouray so I think of them as being "ahead of me" in this perspective

...more to come

Geek screwed with this post 09-27-2010 at 04:23 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote