View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Hey Bazzer! Waiting with baited breath for info on what you find. We should be doing something more sophisticated than paper an pencil up in our neck of the woods too. I can supply things like barcode scanners etc at steep discounts, my company does a lot of point-of-sale business, and I'm willing to supply local clubs hardware at my wholesale cost.

The challenge I see is getting everyone entered into the system in a hurry just before the race. From my observations, only a precious few would pre-register for an event. Scoring software would make the inevitable class selection and scoring errors an issue of the past though. Last year when I raced the Rock Hound I got in the wrong class somehow, didn't figure it out until I noticed that everyone in my starting group was younger and skinier than me!

I think you could print up a bunch of barcode labels before the event, then attach them to registration forms. Someone would have to be drafted to the data entry work and scan the codes into the scoring software. Once registration is complete, the laptop and scanner could be moved to scoring tent on the course. I've done scoring, and it can be a bit of a gong show when a group of riders comes in close together and you have someone yelling helmet numbers to someone else who tries to locate them on the scoring sheets etc. An orderly and automated system for carrying this out would be great!

Within the universe of the Okanagan Hare Scramble Series, none of the race dates overlap, perhaps the clubs could pool talents and funds to come up with a scoring system that could be used at all of the events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZZER450
hmmm we are in the same postion . We are looking into systems the problem is the multiple laps and recording ... one way and the best i think is transponder scoring ..which we use in Canadian National Enduro series as does a lot of other orginizations, or bar code scanning (small bar code on a tag on your helmet ) I will post info as we get it but ... I dont thnk it will be cheap .