View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #83
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,808
Hondo coming down Mosquito Pass. Mosquito is one of the highest passes in Colorado which will take you over 13,000 feet, but you need to be on a bike that you are comfortable riding over "baby head scree" for a couple of steep stretches.

I've been trying to decide how to rate a Pass's difficulty? I've had many different ideas but none seem to be a "best solution". Perhaps the easiest might be a simple scale of 1 to 4... I am open to suggestions? Then there is the issue of some routes being inconsistent... Black Bear might only be a 2 for most of it but could be a 3 or 4 for about 150 yards of it.

Then there is an issue of what I find easy someone else might find hard or vice versa...

Off the top of my head, some of the passes I'll be writing about include:

Guanella Pass
Webster Pass
Redcone
Radical Hill
Middle fork of Swan Creek
Georgia Pass
Lasalle Pass
Independance Pass
Weston Pass
Boreas Pass
Tomichi Pass
Hancock Pass
Hagerman Pass
Taylor Pass
Cottonwood Pass
Hayden Pass
Cinammon Pass
Engineer Pass
Corkscrew Pass
California Pass
Hurricane Pass
Ophir Pass
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Mosquito Pass
Kingston Peak
Tincup Pass
Kebler Pass
Scholfield Pass

...I am sure there are more.. but those give you some idea of the scope of what I'm working on. I'm going to try and take some time to map each one out so non-locals can actually have a hope of finding them if they are so inclined.

I'll also talk about some great routes/areas like Peak to Peak Highway, Riding up Mt. Princeton, The Poudre Canyon, Taylor Park, Four Mile, etc.

...and then I'll see from there.

Sure there are plenty of more "involved" rides that Colorado locals like Enduro-ince, Unaweep, Esteban, Doug Render, Hellsickle, etc know.. but I'm aiming this at someone who is wanting to come to Colorado and be able to find some "epic stuff" on their own. Stuff that they can enjoy without a tour guide.

None of these passes are 'secret'. They are all public access routes that you may or may not happen upon if you were to exploring Colorado on your own. Many of them are very technical. Many of them your granny could enjoy.

So with that in mind, I'll also try and give indication on what a specific route's appeal is be it stunning views, technical challenge, etc. Maybe I should put some sort of "desirability" rating?
Like which ones are the most impressive, must do, etc ?

I'm open to suggestions before I delve in as I'm hoping to come up with a "format" I can use consistently for each route as opposed to just babbling on randomly about each...

Is more information better or is less information better?
Thoughts?

Perhaps I'll just wing it. I'll get started tomorrow.

American Flag Mountain in the heart of Taylor Park is a ride you won't soon forget!

Geek screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 09:25 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote