View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #52
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Ok. Had a long break there. I've just been laying low in Puerto Escondido, enjoying having a place of my own. After almost a three weeks of living in motels and eating out, it becomes a real pleasure to have a place to sleep, cook, and eat. And I've been doing just that. Oh... and drinking lots of beer as well. There are a couple of cats that seem to live here. They've moved in with me anyway. I've also got a number of geckos who live here, occasionally popping their heads out from behind the sofa to see what I'm up to.

I'm in a quiet little corner of town called Rinconada, which is right beside Playa Carazillo, a beautiful little horseshoe bay without the big waves common across town at Playa Zicatela. It's much more pleasant to swim here than in the big surf, IMO.
Carizalillo Beach

I can walk from here to downtown and taxis to Zicatela cost about $2.50

View from the taqueria I eat at often in downtown P.E.

The Puerto en Puerto Escondido

I took a little ride north of town toward Oaxaca, on a road that would be an awesome moto road, if the pavement were in better shape. Endless twists and turns, but due to roughness, you couldn't really push it much.

Then I took an excursion on a dirt road to the hamlet of Reforma. I didn't take any pics there. It's just a little mountain town. People seemed friendly enough.

It was a long dusty climb, on a road that looked like it got washed out regularly.

On the way back to town I stoppped at a horticultural exhibit operated by a local University. They had these unusual trees called "cabeza del toro" or Bulls head trees, so named for obvious reasons.

A few days later I rode south of town and went for a swim on one of the miles of empty beaches here in Oaxaca.

It's friggin hot here now. Once you go out in the sun, your T-shirt is soaked in sweat within 10 minutes and you're ready for a shower or a swim. I can't imagine what it would be like in the summertime. I'm starting to look forward to getting a little higher in elevation just to cool things off a bit. When my month's lease is up, I'll probably head south along the coast for another day or so, and then head up toward Ciudad Oaxaca. That's about it for now. Cheers!

miguelito screwed with this post 03-11-2010 at 02:12 PM
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote