View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #94
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Dave, the cabin was great, had all the comforts needed. Winds were crazy strong at night, had to get up and make sure bike wasnt blown over, lol. Thx

Made it to San Jose, staying with rider I met on my Alaska trip, Chris. Shoulders are sore after 3 days of riding into the chilly wind. Just my luck that the whole of CA is in a cold spell :( Looking forward to warmer weather across the border.

Over next few days going to service the bike, mount new tires, unload some items and repack.

Details on dinner to come soon. Plan for Friday around 7 pm or later in the city.
Best of luck as you head South!
I see your DR is very heavily loaded. I'm wondering if you've actually weighed up everything? Mounting racks, Boxes and contents, tool tubes and tools, spares and everything else.

I found my DR got pretty weird with a lot of weight off road. I'm glad you've fitted a fork brace and steering damper. I need to do this too, but I will now travel with soft bags and with 60 lbs. less weight than before. Not easy.

I can't recall if you upgraded the suspension on your DR? From the pics, I noticed your DR looks like its riding just a bit "low" in the travel? I've got a Ohlins in the rear and heavier springs up front. I like it, handles luggage pretty well, even on rough roads (off road) at speed.

I will be following your reports to see how things go. My set up is not as complex as yours but I love the ideas you've got going with the Solar panels et al. I've only got 30K miles on my DR (this one is my 3rd) and its running like new. (fingers crossed!)

What tires have you decided on? If you're not doing much off road, I could recommend Avon Distanzia's. Long wearing and versatile tires. I got about
8500 miles on a rear in mixed touring. (on/off road)

May all the luck be with you! Hope to see you down the road somewhere!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote