View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Dirsuper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Beware: F800gs Rims Are Junk!

So, I take my BRAND NEW (5 days old) F800GS "Dual Sport" bike on a ride down dirt roads. My buddy who was with me on his 1200GS had his daughter on the back, we WERE NOT doing anything hardcore. It was a leisurely ride enjoying the scenery of SoCal post-rain. Really taking it easy. Of course we hit some ridges and such, but we were not going fast. When I got home, I noticed that my front rim was bent away from the tire bead area about an inch. WTF! I could not believe it (still cannot). I called the dealership, "Not covered by warranty, you were off road" To which I replied, "But you market it as an off road capable bike." So, I call the actual BMW corporation (US) and get told the same thing. Huh? So a bike that is supposed to be capable of going anywhere comes with rims that cannot handle mild dirt roads?

After reading some great info here, I call Woody's. They were very nice, helpful, knowlegeable, etc, and told me that this is common on the F800GS. So, when I got home from work last night I inspected the rear rim....same issue! WTF!!!

Because the bike is absolutely USELESS to me if I cannot ride off road, I am having Woody do the Superlace/Excel rim upgrade. I can't say enough about how great Jill at Woody's has been at explaining everything to me, etc. However, I am still absolutely STUNNED that BMW can get away with this.

When I get home tonight I will post some pics (shot of bike showing it is in fact, brand new; shot of paper license plate; shot of odometer reading 500 miles; and shot of each shoddy/substandard/POS rim).

I cannot believe there has not yet been a class-action lawsuit.
Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote