View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #99
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
You can re-wire the stator as outlined by the Pro Cycle guy in his DIY instructions. This gives 50 watts more but at idle you lose a bit of output. A good move, IMO. At 3000 rpm you gain 50 watts over stock. Will not damage Reg./Rect., stator, battery or pick up ignitor coil.

I don't run many accessories on my DR, after all, it's not a BMW. But I can run my 77 watt Gerbing and 24 watt Symtec grips (on high) and a GPS all day by simply switching off the headlight. This extra 50 watts seems to do the trick, as I've run this set up on many 10 hour days, back to back in very cold weather. At night, well then you've got to lower the heat on the jacket and run grips on low. Even then the batt may discharge some in four or five hours of riding.

You could also install HID headlight (uses 35 watt and is brighter!) and LED tail lights to save a few more precious watts. I would also carry a Battery Tender Waterproof with me. This charger can sit out in the rain overnight no problem and will recharge a dead DR battery in about 3 to 5 hours to 100%. Trips like Jay's are best begun with BRAND NEW batteries, which even with discharging, will usually last a year or so at least and longer if you keep it charged.
Heat kills batteries and constant total discharge is not great for them either.
I know about Jeff (procycle)'s stator rewire and looked into it for a long time but decided not to mess with the generator system, leaning more on reliability. I checked and measured the specs of all the components in the system (generator, rectifier, wiring harness) and everything looked good, but still not enough juice, so that's why I decided to go the solar route.

I do have 2 Solstice Solo 10W LED lights and a switch to turn off the main head light and I've been running in that configuration while on divided highways in day light since daytime lights are mainly for presence in rear view mirrors of other vehicles, but turn them all on at night and wow, the light thrown is pretty nice. The LED lights are mounted at a slight angle and that produces a wide light pattern that I like. I have a battery voltage monitor and can see about 0.5 extra volts coming out of the battery with main headlight off.

Yup, started with a new battery and it's healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
We're ready for you in downtown San Diego Jay! I have the vintage bikes ready for Palomar so let's get it on!
Sweeet! Can't wait for Palomar, have been dreaming about it for so long.
In my sport touring days on the Suzuki GSX-R600 I've ridden Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, Lolo Pass and I feel Palomar Mtn would complete a tour of the most awesome twisty roads in the US
(I'm sure there's more to ride here, so I'll be back )

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 01:07 AM
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote