View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
OK, well, here's the video. This is the start and the entire first lap, uncut, and unedited. I could have edited it and made myself look better, but I think honesty is the best policy. And just remember, as you watch this, even though it doesn't look like it would, my effort was good enough for a trophy in this mud-fest, believe it or not. there were a lot better riders than I that were hung up or otherwise detained in the slick greasy clay or the thick soupy mud bogs. I got hung up several times myself, but somehow still managed to place.

I was actually doing pretty good up until near the end of the first lap where I got stuck. My tactic was to hold back a little and let someone else try it first. And if they made it through, I would take the same line they did. Well that did not work on the one that got me on lap 1. A fella just in front of me made it through just fine, but somehow my tire could not find the bottom and I spent the next several excruciating minutes extracting my bike from thick tar mud as everyone I had just passed went back by me. That was hard to take, I so wanted out of that mud! After that, I slowed way down due to being so physically spent afterwards, and then started making silly mistakes and tip-overs, which led to even more exhaustion. It was a vicious cycle. Anyway, hope you enjoy it. It's not pretty, but it is real.

Also, I hope to have a highlight vid of lap 2 coming soon. In this one, you will see the mud bog from hell. I would still be in it if it weren't for one fine human being who helped me out. Turns out he's a guy on ThumperTalk that I'd conversed with over there, but had never met. I didn't even know it was him until he posted his helmet cam and saw his view of being stuck in the same mud pit and saw myself in his vid. How cool is that? What a way to meet in meatspace, as they say. Anyway, that will be on video number 2, coming in a few days.

http://www.vimeo.com/10225968

2010 NCHSA Devil's Ridge Hare Scramble from bsd512 on Vimeo.

Lap 1 of the afternoon race of the 2010 NCHSA Season's Opener: Devil's Ridge Hare Scramble. Due to a lot of rain the preceding weeks up until a day or two before the race, conditions were tough. I was doing pretty good up until I got stuck late on the first lap and it took me a while to get out. After that, I was spent and that caused me to go slower and take a few more unnecessary tip overs mainly due to the exertion, ruts, and slick conditions. Lap two wasn't any better as I nearly went over the bars from a hidden rock in a gully, got hung up for about 10 minutes in a mud bog, and worked to near exhaustion to get unstuck. But I persevered and ended up actually getting a trophy for the efforts.

nobrakes screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 08:22 PM
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote