View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #108
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
My front wheel looks something like yours, bent to hell from a ride in Death Valley. @ 30PSI

Get used to shitty BMW dealer service and warranty coverage denied, it comes with the GS at no extra cost.

My Bike:
Rear wheel bearings and hub failure- denied. cost me about $400
Front end steering head bearing failure- denied. cost me about $350
Front wheel bent- denied.
Broken chain the first day of purchase.
Add in these still unfixed/unexplained issues: two major oil leaks (still had the bent valve cover on it, though I've asked for it to be replaced) , stalling in the rain, random overheating, transmission slipping, stalling when left idling for more than 1 minute, and a gas gauge/computer system that I PAID for as an option doesn't work for shit even after being serviced twice. My bike was at a dealer for 6 weeks, with nothing but a bill and no answers at the end.

No love for BMW NA or it's network of shitty dealers here.

I feel the vast majority of GS owners idea of rough or long distance riding are quite different from mine.
25,000 miles in a matter of 6 months of riding, never holding back on the GS, it's my experience that BMW obviously DID NOT have the kinks worked out on the 09's, and should have supported the bike better, especially for us "BETA TESTERS". I half expected to have a few issues with the brand new design bike, but the service and support I have had is just plain wrong.

To me it's obvious BMW's Adventure Marketing Department is far more skilled than the Adventure Machine Making Department....
On a positive note, the GS sure is a decent road bike.
Be really interesting to see BMW's warranty histories and recall/dealer visit/failed parts data. Of course BMW stopped releasing this info some years ago.

The twins have laid a rich ground work of events to make what you say quite plausible, yet from owners of F800GS's I know and from various test rides on them, I hear very little negative. But as you point out, most riders don't do any serious off road. But several have done long adventure rides with minimal problems. Always a risk being in the Beta group! I did it on the Vstrom in 2002 and got lucky. Not ONE issue in 70,000 miles. Bike was so good I got bored!

I spent some time on a rental F800GS. Very early release, 1st year model with ... 30,000 miles! Idled like a Rolls Royce ... smooth, seamless and quiet. Perfect suspension and handling on tight, rough twisty paved roads.
Normally a rental can show tell tale signs of failure or things getting "loose". Even a good bike. Not this F800GS. I was impressed how well it rode with 30K on it .... and I was looking for problems. None found.

Are you dealing with Brown Motor Works in SoCal? I would Name & Blame the dealer who is denying your claims. Customers have a right to know this, IMO.

From my experience with dealers it seems more often than not you need the dealer to step up on warranty issues for you and "sell" your claim to BMW NA. Some dealers are better than others.

IMO, wheel bearings, head bearings, hub, chain, fuel gauge, should ALL be covered, no questions asked. The bent wheel I can see their case claiming abuse or "racing". If you ever went to court be sure to bring up all the many cases of failed wheel bearings on BMW F650's. Very common failure.

I would pursue BMW NA legally and advise you intend to make these issues very public. Not that they care, as sales are off the charts.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 11:32 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote