View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #71
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Pelenque to Tlacoltalpan

I left Pelenque after a nightlong drizzle, the first real rain I’ve seen in the two and a half months I’ve spent in Mexico. The day was overcast and cool, so that was a welcome relief. The day was spent pretty much on the cuota, so the ride went fast, but was boring.

I’ve landed in the Spanish colonial port town of Tlacoltalpan along the banks of a river. It was an important port up into the late 19th century. Nowadays fishing and cane farming seem to be the areas main industries. It’s a beautiful town and I’m seemingly the only gringo in it at the moment.

The zocalo.

Near the zocalo.

Pink & Blue.

Twilight street scene.

The end of the malecon.

The zocalo.

Random bicycle shot.

Edificio montage.

Iglesia on the plaza.

This is the most colorful town I've visited in Mexico.

Lovely portales.

I checked into the Hotel Reforma on the plaza. When I asked about internet access, the desk clerk put me in one of two tiny rooms nearest the lobby. The room does have internet access, but it’s really small. Barely room to walk around the bed, and you have to turn sideways to get into the bathroom. It’s basically a dump. I should have tried to negotiate a better rate than the 300 pesos they’re charging me. Say-la-vee. While the hotel is conveniently located, if you’re an early to bed type, you may want to check a few other hotels in town, because just across the street are 3 or 4 bars, with loud music, and a loquacious clientele that stays up relatively late. I decided to join the locals in their nightly festivities.

Some scenes of the nightlife across the street from the Hotel Reforma

The people here are friendly and interested in my travels in their country. It’s a cool little town, and one of my favorites on this trip. It’s been literally cooler her as well. Don’t know if there’s been a change in the weather or the nearness to the ocean is keeping it comfortable, but this is much more pleasant than any of the coastal or low lying areas I’ve visited so far.

I’ve eaten at a couple of the restaurants down on the malecon, where the breeze is nice and the views of the river are beautiful.

Fishermen tying up their boats at the day's end. That's El Mirador Restaurant in the background, (one of my favorites).

The view from El Mirador.

One day for lunch I had two crab tostadas, (about $3), and beef enchiladas, (about $1.50). Excellente!

The enchiladas.

Unfortunately I scarfed one of the crab tostadas before I thought to take a picture. As a side note, last year I ran out of reading material pretty quickly, and I was finding it difficult to find English language books that I was interested in reading. One of the things I did differently this year was buy a Kindle electronic book to bring along, and it was a great decision. I've got about 50 books in this one little device that takes up less space than a single book. That single device has an English-Spanish dictionary, a Spanish-English dictionary, the Lonely Planet guide to Mexico, 501 Spanish Verbs, a magazine subscription, a couple of books on economics/the recent financial crash, some histories, and the rest are novels. The other cool thing about this device is that I can download more books from here or anywhere around the world that has cellular phone service.

I was finishing my dinner my first night here at El Mirador when the waiter began putting away the tables before the sun even set, and I commented that they closed the restaurant early. He explained that one downside of the waterfront restaurants is that as soon as the sun sets, the mosquitoes come out in force. I got to witness that firsthand as I finished my cerveza.

Tomorrow I leave for Ciudad Oaxaca.

miguelito screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 09:48 AM
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote