View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #73
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Tlacoltalpan to Oaxaca

The ride from Tuxtepec to Ciudad Oaxaca could be Mexico’s version of the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s about 150 Km of tight twists and turns, and the bulk of the ride I made in second and third gears.

Unfortunately there weren’t nearly enough spots to get off the road to take a photo of the breathtaking views as you wend your way up to a high elevation mountain pass, then down to the town of Ixtapa, then up another mountain and eventually into Oaxaca.

David works for the Federal Gumint, and one of his jobs is to pick up the trash at the scenic pull-out at the top of the pass. Nice guy.

The church in Ixtapa, the only sizable town along the way. along the way.

The church in Ixtapa, the only sizable town along the way. along the way.

View from Ixtapa

The valley between the two passes you cross on rt. 175

I stopped for refreshments about 20 km from town at a roadside restaurant with speco views. You can see the tight turns from the earlier part of the trip smooth out as the road approaches the valley below.

Still life with Corona...

Got into town, and found the Hotel de Arbol which is great. Clean rooms, parking for the moto, internet and a big bathroom, all for the same price as the dumpy Hotel Reforma in Tlacoltalpan, (about $24). I did some maintenance on the bike, checked the coolant level, and topped it off and went out on the town. It’s a beautiful city. Fantastic architecture, from it’s numerous cathedrals to the Spanish colonial grand structures. You can tell the difference between the little colonial towns and the major ones not only by their size, but by the number of two story buildings. The traffic pretty much sucks in el centro here.

Ciudad Oaxaca.

Did I mention traffic sucks in el centro?

The only problem with the hotel del Arbol is that they pack the cars, (and motos), in like sardines every night, and then in the morning they start the reshuffling of them all like a rubik's cube to get everybody out on schedule. By evening this lot will be packed to the gills.

Easter week has a lot of celebrations down here...

The zocalo.

Tomorrow a visit to the Zapotec ruins at Monte Alban...

miguelito screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 06:52 PM
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote