View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #36
ShooterDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Alright I finally got some internet. So ill start my writings.
I started out on Friday morning, and basically headed south. However before I did I said good bye to a few people, and stopped by the nearby Orange County Honda dealership.

My ride down to San Diego was pretty uneventful. I met up with my friend Brandon after he got off work. After stopping off for food we headed down to the south west corner. He had his bike on the back of his van so that way he could carry more supplies. Once we got down to the corner we parked and walked to the beach. It was a good mile or so walk.

That’s me with Mexico in the background.
We got to the beach and saw the ocean, and turned south towards the fence. When we got to the fence the border patrol didn’t let us go all the way to the fence so I took a picture near the fence.

We decided to take the road back to the bikes instead of the beach. The gate that leads to the parking lot was closed when we headed in. So we thought, well let’s just take the road back it will be faster. HA HA WRONG!!!! As soon as we turn the corner from the parking lot we see why the gates were closed... A 150 yard long puddle. We think we can go around thru the brush and we will be alright, so we head on down. Well the weeds were wet too. We start walking and almost instantly Brandon's feet get soaked half way up to his knee. I had my riding boots on so my feet didn’t get wet for a long time. I asked Brandon if he would rather go back on the beach instead. He said, na I’m already soaked so let’s just keep going it won’t be that bad. So after we got thru we took a pic of it.

Now that the puddle has been overcome we continue on. Around the next corner we see 2 more big puddles. So we just keep on going thru. I snapped a pic of Brandon in the middle of the first one.

Eventually one of the border trucks comes thru. I asked him for a ride and he looked at the two of us and then at the road and said. "NO", and drove on. The basturd lol. Ok, so we keep walking and not more than 2 minutes later another truck comes by and gave us a ride back to the bikes. YAY.

After we got to the bikes we found a hose and started to wash up. Brandon ended up throwing away his boots, socks, pants, and thermals. Ya the stuff smell that bad. So we took off to the nearest Wal-Mart. We got there and Brandon got some new shoes and socks. I got some new socks as well. When we got back to the van I took off my old socks and changed them out, as well as throwing the old ones away along with my thermals. We then got some gas and noticed a nice little KLR in the parking lot. So we headed over to give it some company while we went into Carl's Jr for some dinner.

We left a note asking if the rider was in for a weekend of some desert riding.... We got back and left before he showed up. So on we went. We took off towards his property in the desert near Ocotillo Wells. While riding out I couldn't help but show him how I travel Lazy Boy style. All my gear is in his van by the way.

We spent the night and got ready for the desert fun in the morning. We got up had breakfast and took off at around 9 or 10. Our first stop was a big sand dune thingy. He wanted me to try it even though I’m not good in soft sand. Turns out I had a crappy front tire for this type of sand.

That’s me trying to get the bike back up after my fall.
So we just started heading east on our way to Salvation Mountain and Slab City. We came to the interstate and just went under it. About 400 yards later the desert turned to a crap load of ruts and washes. We got to the first one and made it down. That was fun. We got off and walked the bikes down the 4 foot drop. Give the bike an inch and them lock the brakes and let the bike continue to slide another 6 inches. Here is both the bikes inside the wash.

Once we got in we had to get back out to head to the gas station. So we rode down the wash and found an easy way out then across the desert moon landscape to the gas station that was about a mile or two away. When we finished at the station and had some food we decided to just take the streets to the Salton Sea. We got there about 20 minutes later and took some pics on the coast.

All along the coast for as far as the eye could see was this mound up coral crap. We started riding in it and were doing 5 mph in 3rd gear with it wide open. This stuff was worse than soft sand. So we decided to abandon our idea to head to Slab City by following the coast of the Sea. So we got onto some road and headed around. A few miles later we thought the coast got better so we headed back to the dirt. We ran into this awesome sea of salt.

After exploring that for awhile we took off. I was following behind Brandon by about 50 feet when he decided to go across some mud that looked solid. As soon as we got onto it I thought this isn’t very good. Not later than I thought this Brandon started to look like he was sinking, so I bugger as fast as I could for the road off to the right. I narrowly missed getting stuck in the mud too. Brandon sunk in below his rear axle. We tried to get it out and knew we would need to go over to this collapsed dock about 100 yards away to get some wood. Once we got to it we realized the dock was too heavy so we took a pallet instead. We had to take 3 breaks on the way back because it was so heavy and it was so hot. When we finally got back the bike we laid it on the pallet and stuck some wood under the tires and got it onto the pallet. I tell you this mud was nasty. It was like thick grease mixed with dirt. I’ve never seen a knobby tire look like street tire until that day. Once we got the bike onto the pallet we tried to get her going under her own power so we could run it out of the rest of the mud. The darn thing started fish tailing on us. You would think that a knobby tire would grip on a pallet. O no, not with this mud on it. Finally with a lot of pushing and gunning it she took off. He just went with it and ran it all the way up to the street. It took us 1 hour and 30 minutes to get that thing out. Needless to say we took a break after that. Here is Brandon stuck and his bike after we got it out.

After that we decided we had enough of the stupid dirt. So we took the highway down and around the lake over to Niland. Along the way we took a break and noted that we would never have made it had we continued on our dirt route. We did about an hour of riding on the highway to get to Niland. Once we got to Niland we could see Salvation Mountain but we couldn’t find the road to it. So we just said "let’s head straight towards it on whatever kind of road we can find. So we headed off on some asphalt that was going in the general direction. That took us to a canal that we went over, and then went under some train tracks.

The dirt road after the tacks took us north. So we followed that till we were due west of the rock. Once there we just hopped back into the desert making our own trail over to the rock. Hey we are on basically dirt bikes, so why not. We finally made it to Salvation rock.
The dirt road after the tacks took us north. So we followed that till we were due west of the rock. Once there we just hopped back into the desert making our own trail over to the rock. Hey we are on basically dirt bikes, so why not. We finally made it to Salvation rock.

After exploring that and Slab City that was right near it, we headed back to Brandon's property. Yes back around the Salton Sea that we had just come from. Only this time we took the highway the entire way. Unfortunately after I put my camera away when we were done at Salvation Mountain it decided to stop working. I pulled it out to take a pic and it wouldn’t work. Never could get it working so I just bought a new one a few days later. So not too many pics but plenty of stories for the next few days. We headed back to his property and the wind decided to pick up on our way in. So we got to Brandon's property, had dinner, and hung out. Then we went to sleep around 8 pm or so. The next day Brandon took a picture of our bikes with his camera. He had a friend meet us too, but just for the nights. That’s his dog "Jack".

So we headed off towards Julian to have some breakfast. Then I took off east. I head up towards Prescott Arizona but didn’t quite make it before dark. My relatives who I was going to spend the night with in Prescott said to not ride up the mountains in the dark. I'm sure glad I didn’t or I would have missed an awesome ride with some awesome views. I made it to Arizona.

I spent that night in Quartzite AZ in the desert. Literally in the middle of nowhere. About 5 miles from the town. The stupid wind picked up as I was going to bed so setting up the tent was not very fun. I went to sleep and got up several times in the night because I was cold. In the morning the wind was still howling so I packed up as fast as I could and hit the road about 8am. I took the 89 up to Prescott. When I got there I tried to charge my phone because it was about to die. Then I accidently fried my phone and it wouldn’t turn on. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I set out on my 30 minute journey to find a Best Buy. I am using my phone (Droid) as my gps too. I finally found a Best Buy. I thought
I spent that night in Quartzite AZ in the desert. Literally in the middle of nowhere. About 5 miles from the town. The stupid wind picked up as I was going to bed so setting up the tent was not very fun. I went to sleep and got up several times in the night because I was cold. In the morning the wind was still howling so I packed up as fast as I could and hit the road about 8am. I took the 89 up to Prescott. When I got there I tried to charge my phone because it was about to die. Then I accidently fried my phone and it wouldn’t turn on. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I set out on my 30 minute journey to find a Best Buy. I am using my phone (Droid) as my gps too. I finally found a Best Buy. I thought there wouldn’t be one because the city seemed very small. Turns out as you head north out of town there is a whole mall and tons of superstores. Luckily they were able to find my receipt on their computers. Who would save such a thing then take it on their trip with them? The phone was still under the manufactures 1 month warrantee. YES, YES, YES!!!!!! So I got a new one for free and somehow all my contacts and other info were stored on the external memory card. So it was as if I hadn’t lost the phone at all. I then ran over the Wal-Mart Supercenter across the street and bought some oil. I then went around the rear of the store and did a discreet oil change. Yay, finally on my way to see my relatives. They are doing some volunteer work at a camp. They are there in their motor home. Once I got there they convinced me to stay the night and head up to Flagstaff in the morning. My cousin Kyle is going to school in Flagstaff and he said I could stay the night with him. I shared some picture with them and tried to get onto the internet to update this thread. Unfortunately their internet is slow at eh camp, so I made a post from my phone. We headed off to bed kinda early because they had to be up at 5 am or so. That night it got down to 29 degrees outside. Needless to say after I packed up Thumper was pretty hard to start. I have an XR'S Only oil temperature dipstick thingy. The lowest it goes is 50 degrees. The needle was below that. CRAP!!!! Finally I got her started and off we went. First thing I did was went back to the Best Buy and bought a camera. Then I headed up the 89 and took a tour though Red Rock Canyon. Beautiful area. Here is a pic as I was coming down the mountain into the valley.

Once I got into the valley I decided to take that side trip into the Red Rock Canyon. Here is at the beginning of the road.

Then I just booked it up to Flagstaff. Now I am finally here at Northern Arizona University with my cousin Kyle. I finally have the internet and am able to post these pics.
My plan for tomorrow is to continue up to Jackson WY. I’ll be going thru Page AZ to take a picture at the Honda dealership. Then I’ll continue up the 89 until it comes time to sleep. Basically I really have no plans as far as a route. So I’m making it up as I go along. I just know where the next destination is. Right now it’s Jackson WY, and I have to be there by the 10th or 11th at the latest. So I will just see where this adventure takes me...........

ShooterDave screwed with this post 05-21-2010 at 03:58 PM
ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote