View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #78
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Oaxaca to Cuernavaca

The ride to Cuernavaca was a mix of great scenery with twisting roads and a smattering of cuotas. Even the cuota coming into Cuernavaca was beautiful. I passed another ADV rider on a green KLR going the opposite direction and we saluted each other. I couldn’t tell as we were in the middle of some excellent twisties when we passed, but it might have been Chad, a Canadian with whom I’ve crossed paths in Mulege, and once again on the West coast of the mainland. I always have a pang when I see riders going the opposite direction, which is when and where I’ve seen most of them, wishing we could sit for a few minutes and share stories and places we’ve been.

Some views along the way.

I made a quick detour into the picture postcard town of Tepoztlan. Sorry, no pics of that, but if you’re in the area, you should swing by to check it out. Everything around southern Mexico is even more beautiful than usual with the blue-purple flowering St. Lucia trees scattered throughout the landscape.

Entering Cuernavaca from the north is a journey of descent, as the road plunges down and down towards el centro. I pulled into the first hotel I saw wirh a garage, and found their nightly rate almost $300 US, so I kept riding down toward the zocalo. I was having a hard time finding hotels in the crush of afternoon traffic, and eventually pulled into another hotel garage and found their rooms to still be expensive, but the heat and the ride were getting to me, and I coughed up 1300 pesos, (discounted from 1950 pesos) for what turned out to be a lovely air conditioned room next to the courtyard and pool. It was very nice and maybe the quietest room I've had in any Mexican city.

The 1300 peso room.

Watch your step when you leave and enter your room.

Apparently the extra 1000 pesos buys the tchotchkas on the walls and horizontal surfaces.

Random composition.

I walked down to the zocalo, and eventually stopped into a little bar for a cerveza, and shortly thereafter a gringo looking dude walked in and muttered something in English, adding, “You look like a gringo, anyway”. To which I replied, “So do you”. Ha! We shared a couple of beers and then parted ways after dinner on the edge of the zocalo.

View from the bar where John and I met.

Sidewalk repairs in Cuernavaca

miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote