View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
Are you riding marathon or will you have service?
Hi Cummo - I'll be with Patsy Quick & Co at Desert Rose Racing for transport and service support this season - we had a great time together last year on Heroes-Legend, and that was part of the reason I decided to waste a lot more money on a new [lightweight] race bike and have a pop at a few FIM events...

It is my intention to race the three NPO 'Desert Trophy' rounds this season - that is Tunisia (FIM) in May, Egypt (Sphinx Rally) in September, and the final FIM round in Morocco in October.

I figure that the cost of these would be the same (or less) than one Dakar - and while the Dakar is undoubtably the #1 event on the calender regarding media coverage and general public interest, I have to factor in how much riding/racing and the kind of terrain I'll be riding in.

It was always my intention to enter the Dakar in 2011 - particularly if it had returned to Africa - it was muted to start in either Barcelona or Monaco, then head through Tunisia, Lybia and Egypt - all of which I'll essentially get to race during the NPO rounds this year.

Of course, should the financial situation allow, it is also my intention to enter the Dakar in South America in January next year - using this bike (but possibly with a fresh engine)... however, I am already baulking at the entry fees for these NPO rounds (for what is 'only' a week's racing at a time) - paying three times as much for a two week Dakar doesn't make any sense...

But then neither does trying to build an FIM spec Rally bike from scratch in two weeks?!

J xx

ps. Johnboy - I'm mental and creaking more like! But hell, time is running out, and if you don't do it now... etc.
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote