View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente

So barrier911, why not throw a larger tank, some navigation gear and a cush drive rear hub on an EXC 300 and head of to the next NRE with Hogwild and the boys to do some "real world" field research... ie. run it in rally conditions against other 450 and 690 cc rallye bikes?
Thanks! Troy, like I need any more encouragement to plan on entering the 'Big' one, Dakar, I mean. Now I've got you egging me on to rise to a challenge. I beat myself up every day deciding on what rally to enter next and which year to go for the Dak.

You may have seen a number of 4 stroke bikes I've built in to 'rallye bikes' on JMo's thread but I've never even ridden a two stroke.

The KTM 300 as a bike for Dakar interests me for a number of reasons....
  • It's different and would raise some interest. (hopefully not for all the wrong reasons) (Eg having to change a piston and rings at each mid stage re-fuel! )
  • Stories of the top end lasting upto 300hrs without work.
  • Runs cooler.
  • Weight.
  • Far simpler and quicker maintenance.
  • Ability to carry a top end overhaul kit, piston etc and repair on the fly. How many guys have gone out of the event with a holed piston or dropped valve.
I am guessing that the stroke and bore could be increased to add torque without even getting close to the 450 cc limit.
Higher torque should decrease revs, wear, vibration and fuel consumption. Or am I dreaming!!!!

As another first I believe it could also be 'Christinified!' That is AWD like my 08 530...
  • I know I could suffer the vibes for a Dakar finish and maybe more flywheel weight would help. Mr Renazco would be getting a call.
  • I know the Christini kit on my 530 dramatically reduces the requirement to rev in the soft sand, keeping the front wheel light and requiring a ton less fuel in those conditions.
  • I know Safari make a 9 litre rear tank or even the Meca twin tanks would help with some creative thinking to reach about 30 litres as a total.
Now I still need to decide which rallye to enter next, which year to enter Dakar and Now which bike to build next, thanks Troy!

barrier screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 06:36 AM
barrier is offline   Reply With Quote