View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #26
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
Dave and I saw this 125 in Barcelona. We passed him early on the very long road section through Spain on the 2nd day. Somehow, he managed to get ahead of us before the check at the finish. Lots of vans passed us on the 8-hour ride. Maybe he was relaxing in one and saving a piston. In any event, he was not at the finish in Dakar. For the longer stages, he had a big front tank like those on a KTM Adventure.

fun fun
Charlie
Once in Africa... he had to ride all the transports AND the selectives...

I recall it got to day three or four (where the first big soft dunes came into play) and then things got real tough. There were issues with not only the cylinder/piston (capicity/weight overtaxing the little motor), but even transmission issues. (There was a whole Dakarista movement following - and rooting - for Gerard to make it).

This raised conjecture as to the possibility of perhaps increasing transmission oil capacity (and a cooler maybe), cush drive rear hubs to ease the feedback impact from the rear wheel chatter on the gearbox and the possibilty to find a "sub 60 kg" rider to pilot the little 125cc two stroke (Gaston Rahiers dont grow on trees...).

It's all an interesting challenge to see if it "could" be done.

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote