View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #89
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito
I left Morelia and planned on stopping in Patzcuaro, which my friends in Alamos had told me last year was a beautiful town and area. I came into town from a nice ride on the libre and followed the town's signs to El Centro, but only found a pretty funky little town. I decided to ride on to Uruapan, but stopped for lunch near the lake, where my waiter told me that I had been misled by one sign, and pointed me back in the real direction of town. Man, I'm happy I stopped for lunch and got the right beta, 'cause this is a very beautiful town, and the nights are literally cool.

I stopped at the "Our Pick", midrange hotel from Lonely Planet, and found their prices almost 1-1/2 times what lonely Planet listed. Seems like being featured in Lonely Planet is kinda like the kiss of death for a place if you're a traveler looking for good deals. So I walked down the street, and stopped into what should have been a hotel with a price similar to the first stop. My first question to the proprietess, was if they had parking for my moto, and she said that they didn't. I asked how much the rooms were anyway, and she replied 200 pesos, or about $18 US. That was less than 1/2 the price listed in Lonely Planet for the Hotel San Alejandro, so I figured I'd rent a space in a garage downtown, which allowed me to ride into the plaza for dinner each night, park the bike, and then walk the 3 blocks back to the hotel. Crazily enough the parking cost 70 peso's for overnight parking, and 120 if you left the moto in 24 hours. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is the Hotel San Alejandro is a kick ass hotel, clean, nice terrace, and I got cut a hell of a good deal.

I rode a circumnavigation of the lake one day, stopping in most of the small towns surrounding it. I'm running out of power on my laptop, and will come back to add more here later.
Miguelito,

I'm in Zamora just about 100kms north from Patzcuaro. The road is great, rode it past Sunday, ifyou decide to come down this way give me a call. dialing from Mexico 01 351 131 0818 dialing from Zamora 1310818. The MOTOFIESTA begins tomorrow in Morelia, don't miss it you will have a lot of fun.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote