View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #92
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Well, I kinda stalled out here in keeping this trip report up to date. I will get back to it though for those of you following along. I reached a point a couple of weeks ago, where i was feeling tooo connected via the web, and that I wasn't really feeling like I'd gotten away, (which was one of my main objectives of this trip). So if you are actually following along, bear with me. I'll update as I can, and am inclined.

Here are some pics from the Patzcuaro area in the meantime:

Tarasco ruins near Ihuatzio. This is the only site of pre-Columbian ruins in Mexico that had a wall surrounding the main plaza, presumably for defense.

Lots of beautiful rock walls of volcanic stone near Ihuatzio.

I rode a circumnavigation of the lake and stopped in many of the small towns surrounding it. The Catholic priest who worked to empower the local indios in the area steered the different villages into working in different crafts, and still today, the various villages are reknowned for basket weaving, wood carving, stone carving, pottery, weaving, furniture making, and more. It's a very art-craft oriented area, and beautiful to boot.

View from a nice little restaurant I stopped at on the West side of the lake

I think this is Ihuatzio.

This was in San Andres. If you get there, stop and buy a beer from Jaime at the cervezeria on the corner of the plaza, and say "Hi" from me.

The dogs of San Andres. I think these perros have their priorities pretty well figured out. I rode between them, and they never batted an eye.

San Andres

Can't remember this town's name, but it was pretty big, and on the west side of the lake. Many of the locals speak the indigenous language only in these villages.

Another small village I rode off the lake road about 8 km to explore.

Bull fighting is big in the area.

Some ranches have their own bull fight rings...

Back to Patzcuaro

This was my second floor terrace outside the lovely and economico Hotel de San Alejandro

And the view from it.

Unfortunately after returning from a boat trip to the main island, Janitzio, I found my memory card dislodged in my camera, so I missed out on those photos. :(
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote