View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
65 mph maximum attainable speed

1996 R1100GS. About 80,000 miles. Not sure exactly the total because the speedo broke in Peru.

In March I rode it from Wisconsin to LA and back, with three 1000 mile days, and the bike was perfect. The last day was 970 miles in 13.5 hours.

A week later, the bike was rough to start. It would dog/bog down a little, but once warmed up, it went fine around town.

Sunday, I rode it from Madison to Minneapolis. It was about 45 and rainy when I left. It took about 40 miles before the bike warmed up. It kept doing a new, "skipping" type of thing. I figured it was because it was cold.

(In an un-related act of stupidity, I got nailed for passing a truck and a semi in a double-yellow, $215.)

After about 200 miles, I noticed that it was hard to go 80 mph. I wasn't getting the normal zip. I wondered if the snorkel pre-filter was wet and clogged, because it had been in the snorkel for the last 5000 miles. I stopped at a gas station and pulled it out. The pre-filter was dirty, but after removing it, there was no change.

At 2:00 this afternoon, I put 8 gallons of fuel in, and I started for home. 5 miles later, the bike almost quit on me. I had been going about 65 mph eastbound on I94, just west of Saint Paul.

I was able to get off the highway. The bike quit. I was able to re-start it.

I called GS Diablo. He invited me to his house. I was able to get the bike to limp there. It wouldn't idle, and 40-50 mph was the fastest I could go.

We changed the fuel filter. The fuel pump seemed to be pumping tons of fuel- enough to squirt at least a few feet. Compression was good on both cylinders. We changed the spark plugs anyway. All the hoses seem to be tight.

GS Diablo is also a GS rider. We're both mainly riders- not mechanics- but we're not total idiots (well, he's not, but I probably am).

GS Diablo offered to lend me a 650GS to ride back to Madison, and then come back for the pig with my truck, but I decided to ride it home. I limped home. At 65 the bike would bog down. I'd down-shift to 4th, then 3rd. The bike would run smoothly, and then I'd try to shift back up. I could ride it at at 65 if I constantly feathered the throttle. 300 miles of constantly feathering the throttle pretty much wore me out, but the bike got me home.

What's wrong with it?

ps: GS Diablo is fucking AMAZING. One phonecall, and he took off from work to help me. Within 20 minutes I was filling every plastic jug in his house with gasoline. If you've ever tried draining an 11 gallon touratech tank, you know what I'm talking about.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote