View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #93
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Patcuaro-Uruapan-Guanajuato

It's a beautiful, and fun ride on the libre from Patzcuaro to Uruapan. I had planned on spending at least a night in Uruapan, but decided to ride on to Guanajuato in one day. Unfortunately my memory chip in my camera was dislodged for my whole trip through Guanajuato and to San Miguel de Allende, so I have no photos of the beautiful, but difficult to drive in, town of Guanajuato. Parking is almost impossible to find downtown even with a moto, so I checked into the first hotel with parking that I came to after exiting the series of tunnels under the city, (Antiguo & Vapor). It turned out to be a rather expensive place to stay. I had thought I might rent an apartment spend a longer time in Guanajuato, but something about the town didn't ring a bell with me, plus it felt a little claustrophobic, so I moved on after three nights.

The ride to Dolores Hidalgo is beautiful, has no topes to speak of, and is fun to ride on a moto. I stopped in Dolores H., but quickly left for San Miguel de Allende. I was prepared to not spend much time here, but I found the most comfortable bed I've slept in for the last three months at Hotel Casa Linda, again not cheap, but not as much as my Guanajuato hotel.

The view from the terrace outside my room at Hotel Casa Linda.

I just rented a really nice casita here for the next month, so I'm in for a long stay here.

Street scene outside my casita.

Views from the casita's rooftop terrace.

Typical street scene.

The town bull ring.

I looked at smaller places to rent, and there are plenty available, with a short walk to el centro for around $450 US/month. After looking at a few, I decided to splurge on a bigger, and much nicer casita only 2 blocks from the jardin, (el centro). If anyone wants to see what $900/month rents in San Miguel, here's a pretty lousy video, but it will give you an idea of what you can get.

and a link in case the embed doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cMYs7OyiQ

It's a charming little town and the restaurants are really good and a welcome change from my diet of tacos and enchiladas from the last 3+ months.

miguelito screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 08:29 AM
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote