View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #43
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
For being an engineer (I read that in another post of yours) you sure talk funny. Did you ever hear the saying that data should be observable, measurable, and repeatable? You call a dyno and charts "not realistic", yet your butt dyno seems to be so finely tuned that it is able to produce this type of data. Amazing. Or, it simply confirms once more that you are clueless about engine tuning. Did it ever occur to you that every dyno has an air/fuel meter that is used as a basis for any adjustments made? Maximum power doesn't just happen by coincident, it is simply a matter of physics. Saying that "14:1 felt and worked the best for economy and power" is just very narrow minded. You should be adjusting your mixture dependent on load and the other parameters I mentioned before: timing, compression, N/A or forced induction, octane etc), which in turn will give you the results you are looking for.

And while your idea of "setting up the air/fuel mixture while riding under loads and conditions that you will likely encounter during use. Not in a lab on a treadmill." is cute, it somehow makes me doubt that you ever used the G2 gauge. I specifically asked you - twice - how you measured AFR, and you said that you "read the meter while riding under actual conditions". Nowhere did you mention the word data logging. Surely you must realize that using a readout gauge - especially a digital one that will cycle between values very fast - is pretty much useless while you are riding the bike. How the hell would you completely focus on it to get any kind of useful info across the whole RPM range, while "riding under actual conditions"? For what it's worth, even on a dyno the use of a gauge is limited. While the lab conditions - you know, like, not having to look where you bike is going at increasingly fast speeds - will allow you to monitor AFR at various throttle positions at least to a certain degree, you will still miss spikes in either direction. This is why you always need data logging, and why these "not realistic" graphs are essential....
A lambda sensor in the exhaust hooked up to an air/fuel ratio gauge is hardly a "butt-dyno" my friend, and IMO is actually more accurate because I'm seeing the air/fuel ratio while actually riding the bike under actual loads and conditions. I don't need to "log data". Why would I need to "log data". I would simply ride the damn bike and run through the rev range under realistic conditions, then adjust pilot jet, needle jet, and needle size accordingly. It's not that complicated man.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 09:30 AM Reason: Removed most of the head explody. Kept tuning info.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote