View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
I had suggestions to check the, exhaust collector, center stand, timing chain, and exhaust nuts.

So to investigate further on Thursday before leaving to the GA mountain rally, the starter was removed, because it seemed that the noise was coming from that area.

With the starter out the kick starter was used to rotate the engine, well the noise was definitely coming from the clutch area!!! Clang clang when turning the engine over with it and also when rocking the wheel back and forth in gear. Then I looked where the starter engages the ring gear....well then I saw and heard where the noise was coming from.

The ring gear is held on by 6 6mm allen head bolts, and these were backing out, not just one or two but all six, and two were missing the nuts on the back side.

The threads were ruined so replacements were sought out, mind you this is at 8 PM, and my only option for a 6mm-10mm socket head is Lowe's. Remember I'm really wanting to leave for the Ga Rally tomorrow at 7am.

A quick trip to Lowe's to source out 6 allen heads, I'm not optimistic. The airhead gods must have been watching, since THEY HAD WHAT i NEEDED!!!!

Now to get the allen head out and replace one at a time, while not dropping the nut inside. I got all 6 replaced and lightly threaded. Wow this is going well...don't you think!!!!

Of course you know the airhead gods have a twisted since of humor, don't you??? Now I proceed to tighten the 6 bolts down (Yes I used locktight). Some of you bright people know that this is going too well, right?

Ok. last two nuts to tighten down, yep then it happens, the 10 mm wrench slips on the final tightening and.....drops. Where you might ask? In a most unlikely spot., through the hole where the starter engages the ring gear, WELL FUCK!!!!!!!!! and a few more explicative s in disbelief. IT has dropped behind the ring gear and crank case housing, but I can still see the wrench.

So off to the toolbox to get a magnet to fish the wrench out. Got it.....but as the airhead gods would have it, the wrench snags something and drops, completely out of sight. It's now about 8:30 and there is only one thing to be done.....if i really want to go to the rally...pull the tranny to retrieve the wrench.

Ok- to make a long story short, the wrench was retrieved and the R80 was taken for a short road test at 12:00 that night!!

Ride to the rally was great, perfect temps and about 30 miles of mountain gravel roads.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 05-02-2010 at 07:54 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote