View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
lukeman OP
Cool Hand
lukeman's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 456

It turned out my friend was a day late anyway after discovering that her passport had accidently been swapped with a roommates and hers was expired on top of that. In her own adventure, she got a new passport in a few hours and boarded a plane that day. It is nice living in DC for no other reason than passports and embassies.
I made it to La Cieba in the evening and stayed at The Paris Hotel or something along those lines (It was on the northern side of the central square). The border wasn’t too bad; it seems the El Salvadorian side is much worse. I spent about an hour getting papers signed, stamped, and it lightened my wallet quite a bit as well. From there it was all pretty much smooth sailing in Honduras. The roads were quite nice all the way up north to San Pedro Sula east to El Progresso and further over to La Cieba. I enjoyed the hotel pool after a grueling 12 hour ride, slept soundly that night.
The next day I would meet up with Cindy, who was staying in San Pedro Sula, at the Ferry Terminal to catch a ride to Roatan. The plan was to spend a week out there learning to snorkel and enjoying the beaches. There is a high speed boat that makes the journey in about an hour and a half which is great. I’d recommend getting their early because I showed up a half hour before departure and they said there was no room on the ferry for my bike. Cindy was already boarded and I could see her sitting in her seat. I frowned and waved to her as she left, she was terribly confused as to why I was still standing on dry land while she was traveling solo over to Roatan. Great!
I had 6 hour to kill before the next departure, so I went on a beach tour further east of La Ceiba. Ended up going to a beach east and waited at a small beach restaurant in the middle of nowhere. Met some locals that offered to take me to a swimming hole nearby and I thought what the hell. That or they would jump me in the middle of nowhere and take all my stuff. Either way onward! Miles up this deserted road I came to a jungle style inn where we jumped off huge rocks into a river. Its located somewhere here on the Rio Cangrejal south of La Cieba. There were a few adventure tour/accomidation places along the river. It was really peaceful and beautiful.

Finally caught the ferry and by the time I got across, got my bike loaded up, it was already dark. The owner of the ferry loved my bike, offered to buy it right there for 4,000 USD. He always wanted a BMW. I was hoping for a grand or so in Panama City. Damn, I still had half a trip to go… In true adventuring spirit I drove in the dark trying to find the accommodation that Cindy and I had reserved. I made it, plopped down into bed and fell asleep. It was a nice week. I got scuba certified, its rather cheap there in Roatan and no bullshit swimming pools and all that.
All was well until the tropical depression settled right over top of Honduras and the passage to Roatan.

Have to mind the landslides

Really should have used the DSLR instead of the point and click while riding.

Miles and miles of palm plantations the original banana republic.


Rode the entire island

The tropical depression shut down all transportation between the island and the mainland. On top of that the fast ferry was out of commission for two weeks for yearly maintenance. On top of that Roatan had civil unrest because of the raising of electricity rates. Picketers had blocked off the main road to the airport and shipping port. WTF. Cindy ended up missing her flight, and I talked her into riding to Nicaragua with me and flying out there. What the hell, we’ll just strap your bag on the back. So that’s what we did. Having to get off the island, 10 days there already, we managed to talk a captain into letting us ride on his cargo ship back to the mainland. The 1.5 hour trip on the way over took 7 hours on the cargo ship. The crew was shady and it looked like they hadn’t seen a woman for a long while. I told Cindy not to leave my side and my knife was easily accessible. We get to shore; it was night, and the depression lets all hell break loose on us. Being a port I had to sign this at the gate, go back to the boat, get the captain to sign a paper and then go back to the gate, all with a torrential downpour. Screw it, the roads are flooded up past the exhaust, we’re soaked and exhausted, straight to the Paris hotel again. I bet they loved us walking in to the lobby dripping wet and making a huge puddle. Una habitacion por favor.

"Sorry the captain of this boat isn't leaving today."

"Why won't you take us off this cursed island?"

We got on this monstrosity

Clouds waiting to rain until we disembark.

Why am I doing this again?

Long story short, we rode all the next day in the rain to D&D Brewery next to Lago Yojoa. We met up with Nate and Lindsie who had departed Antigua. We were a pair of two up riders riding bikes from the early 80's bikes with way too much shit on the back. Nate had a CB750 from 82' I believe, carrying a small banjo and a fiddle, no joke. We were a sight; as Nate would often put it, we were a shit show!

We spent a couple days at the Brewery and took in the sights around the lake.
Accommodations at D&D

Secluded Path

They had a nice infrastructure setup

First blue sky in over a week

We went birding with a great guide Malcolm

He was awesome. Birding hippie from the UK. I heard that he played "lord of the rings" with a group. hahaha

The team

From there we went south. Nate and Lindsie's setup

The depression washed out the main road, it was miles and miles of traffic. Yeah seriously you've got to be kidding me.

What to do... There was nothing around, it would be days for the river to come down. We suddenly found ourselves with a large group around us admiring our motorcycles and asking us all the normal questions. How much did it cost, how many cc, how fast... Eventually we got to talking about another route to travel on. They said it was possible, not for big vehicles, but for motorcycles and 4x4s. Swell, off-roading two up on 1000lbs ladened street bikes. No other choice, lets do it.

One of the better section, there was river crossings, tons of mud. Really good stuff.

Some of the worst of the road.

Steady as she goes

Added on and extra two hours, but we made it. Here is the crew having a well deserved rest. Notice Cindy's helmet, bought it for 20 bucks, it had SAFE written on it in big letters, so you know it wasn't.

The sun is setting

We eventually made it to San Lorenzo, the shrimp capital of Honduras, where Lindsie defiled their most sacred monument.

lukeman screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 12:12 PM
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote