View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
I can't remember all the turn offs, I have them written down anyhow, but after another hour of fun twisty West Virginia state highways and back roads I finally came to the turn for Canaan Loop Rd. It is pretty low key at first, but eventually winds up and really gets tough as it goes from groomed gravel to rutted double track, at least for my feeble off road skills. Still, it was one of the main reasons I came out here, so tempting fate, I headed in.

The scenery was once again pristine...

Eventually, the road deteriorated to very rutted and muddy double track. I came to a point where after nearly dropping the 990 three times, I stopped to take stock of my situation. The stock Pirelli Scorpions were really out of traction at this point and I knew there was a fairly tricky off camber rocky section up ahead. I didn't think the Scorp's or I could handle it safely and since I was riding solo, I put away my pride, did a u turn and headed back the way I came. I was a little sad I didn't complete the road, but I also didn't want to go down alone on a seldom used section of road with no cell service. The good news was, since I knew the condition of the road now, I could open the 990 up a bit and slide around some corners on the way back. So where I had been fairly conservative on my ride in and stayed around 25mph, i was now comfortable with doing almost double that on the way back. I HAD A BLAST!!! This bike was made for his sort of hooligan style riding.

I quick stop at an earlier landmark for a self portrait. I left the helmet on to keep this a family friendly report...

Then it was onto Davis and a well earned lunch...Ahhhh, my favorite place to eat!!