View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo
Smoke Hole Road is one of my all time favorite twisty roads. Most people in the area use the state highways, so this road is almost always deserted, especially mid morning in the middle of the work week! The first several miles is a non stop roller coaster of a road. It is a typical West Virginia back road in that it is barely wide enough for two cars to pass one another, so good thing it stays fairly low traffic otherwise it would be pretty scarey.

The worst thing about the road is that the rider in me wanted to just crank it and go while the part of me that loves the scenery was constantly tempted by the beautiful views all along the length of the road. Thankfully, after one stop, I put the tourist away and got in touch with my inner Rossi.
I love those narrow, twisty, deserted little back roads. Most people don't know what they're missing......and I'm glad. These roads wouldn't be much fun if they were full of traffic. I lived in MD in the mid 90s and used to take long day rides out to this area. Thanks for posting. Great pics, it looks like you had a great ride

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote